Washington County Veterans Service Officer
The Washington County Veterans Service
Officer advises local veterans and their dependants of their rights and
entitlements under various Federal and State Laws. The Service Officer
offers counseling and assistance in filling out necessary forms and
papers, obtaining documents and affidavits and forwarding same to the
North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs for review.
Although the County Veterans Service
Officer is employed by the County Commissioners, he/she is trained by
and works under the supervision of a District Service Officer of the
North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs which assists him/her in
difficult or unusual cases.
The following are a sample of services offered in Washington County:
- Advises local veterans and their dependants of their rights and
benefits and guides them in choosing the most advantageous option in
matters of insurance, pension, et cetera.
- Selects and prepares proper forms for submission to the
Department of Veterans Affairs and other agencies.
- Assists persons being served in obtaining legal documents,
medical statements and affidavits, and in preparing letters and
statements in support of claims.
- Assists in gaining admission of eligible veterans hospitals,
including the porcess of commitment of veterans who are mentally
- Assists children of veterans in obtaining educational benefits
to which they may be entitled.
- Advises and assists servicemen about service-related